The mission of the Barkhamsted School District is to educate all students to be competent, confident, thoughtful and responsible citizens. The Barkhamsted School is a place of learning where stakeholders including teachers, staff, administrators, parents and the local community work together to ensure that every learner acquires the knowledge and skills that are the foundation of continuous growth and intellectual curiosity.
Our curriculum is designed to Educate for Excellence as we INSPIRE & GUIDE students to:
- Be responsible and engaged community members
- Demonstrate initiative, persistence and adaptability
- Be curious and value risk taking as part of the learning process
- Access and analyze information, ask questions and formulate opinions
- Communicate effectively
The curriculum is defined as a comprehensive system of:
- Standards - what we expect students to learn;
- Assessment - how students demonstrate increasingly sophisticated understanding;
- Content - scope and sequence of what we teach;
- Instruction - the environment, methods and strategies used to facilitate student learning;
- Reflection - ongoing analysis of student performance; and
- Adjustment - curriculum that is continuously refined and improved.