Remote Learning Resources for Families
The Barkhamsted School believes in our students and their capacity to learn and grow at exceptional levels. Learning never stops, and to promote our students' continuous learning, we have launched Phase Two of our Remote Learning Plan. Each student is responsible for attending the Live Class Meeting as well as completing one special area and two content assignments posted on SeeSaw (K-1) or Google Classroom (2-6) each day. We have also included many links to a variety of quality online resources for you to explore.
*For technical assistance email firstname.lastname@example.org
Morning Announcements with Mrs. Plocki
*scroll down on Flipgrid to see video announcements
LIVE CLASS MEETING SCHEDULE
|9:00 a.m.||Kindergarten, 4th Grade, 5th Grade|
|10:00 a.m.||AM Preschool, 1st Grade, 6th Grade|
|12:30 p.m.||3rd Grade|
|1:00 p.m.||PM Preschool, 2nd Grade|
|Read Aloud with Mrs. Hedenberg|
SPECIAL AREA SCHEDULE
More Activities & Links
Independent Reading: Children should read independently for at least 20-30 minutes every day.
PHONEMIC AWARENESS & PHONICS
Children in Preschool through Grade Two can play phonics and phonemic awareness games on these sites. Both require parents to set-up a free account.
Writing Journal: Use a notebook to write about opinions, thoughts and ideas every day.
Gratitude Journal: Use this list and record 30 days worth of gratitudes.
Cards or Letters: Write to a family member or friend and mail your message.
Social Studies concepts are often learned through asking (and answering questions). Use the following links to develop inquiries as you explore history, geography, civics, and economics.
Inquiry and the observation of phenomena provide us with insights into our world. Children can continue to explore science concepts with these web sites.
LIBRARY & COMPUTER
Please visit the Library Media Links Page to find resources for library and computer.
Read books for pleasure every day. Use the resources in the Reading section above or those below to discover new books.
- Authors Share First Chapter Read Alouds
- Read Aloud Videos
- Scholastic Learn at Home
- Junior Library Guild Elementary
- Junior Library Guild Middle School
Try the activities below to engage in reading each day.
- Visit this link to listen to Matt de la Peña read his book Love Draw a heart and fill it with the names of people, places, and things you love.
- Read to a pet. Try to pick a book your pet will enjoy.
- Browse a cookbook, choose a recipe and cook something with a family member.
Keep up on your computer skills by practicing your keyboarding skills 10-15 minutes a day. Engage in computer science activities like coding and drawing in a computer aided design program.
- ABCya offers keyboarding, writing and computer skills
- Typing Club is for grades 2-6 (student log on required)
- Scratch is coding for grades 2-6 (student log on required)
- Tinkercad is for grades 4-6 (student log on required)
|Abdo Zoom Learning PK-2||Authors At Home|
|Abdo Bookshelf Ebooks K-5||Storytime From Space|
|Abdo Ebooks Grades 5-12||Virtual Tours|
SPECIAL ONLINE EVENTS with AUTHORS & ILLUSTRATORS
Author of I Survived is reading her new Graphic Novel,
I Survived The Sinking of the Titanic
Continue to engage in visual arts learning as you visit these museum web sites to view art and create art inspired by the works you see.
- Mattatuck Museum
- Yale University Art Gallery
- New Britain Museum of American Art
- Metropolitan Museum of Art
- The Frick Collection: virtual tour
- The Wadsworth Atheneum
Mrs. Dubecky recommends the following creative projects. Share your child’s artwork by emailing a photograph of it to email@example.com.
- Sketch, draw and doodle.
- Go outside and collect materials from nature. Create a structure or design with them.
- Use materials from your house and make artwork with them. (yarn, wire, gift wrap, scrap fabric, paper towel tubes)
Listen to music and write about what you feel and think. Create music too - compose a tune, sing songs, or select an activity from the list below. Don't forget to practice your instrument! If you need inspiration, try watching a video of someone playing your instrument online. Be sure to visit Miss Petersen's website for more resources and follow her on Instagram and Twitter (@MissPsMusicRoom) for music content every day!
PHYSICAL EDUCATION & HEALTH
Play games and get exercise every day to maintain healthy habits and follow Mrs. Kaeser on Instagram @mrskaeserpehealth for daily posts. Here are a few other resources for you to use.